Sunday, April 09, 2006

Macedonia sweet Macedonia!


ohrid
Originally uploaded by borderlys.
*sigh* I am so completely in love with Macedonia! The people I have met so far have an unsurpassed sense of hospitality, the countryside is eye-popping, jaw-dropping, stop-you-mid-breath beautiful. The call to prayer in the afternoon sun, orthodox priests walking down the street next to the farmer with his goats in the centre of town...

In Prilep I stayed with amazing couchsurfing hosts who really went out of their way to show me arround. I originally thought I would stay 2 days and spend 4-5! On the last day we hiked up to a MOnastary in the hills next to the city and slept there over night and it was so soothing. Then in Struga Fred (from France) and I biked to Ohrid (only about 15 kilometres) and walked up to the fortress where we sat and had lunch...fresh bread and local cheese with some cucumbers and sausage...it was a little slice of heaven. I did manage to burn one side of my face but it was well worth it! Later that night we wound up in some birthday party in the albanian community in Struga...it was crazy! People we so friendly, and so curious, and so proud....I really wish I didn't have to leave the country tomorrow (yes, canadians need a visa ?!?!) but I have a newfound interest in Albania, having seen such warmth in the Albanians last night...

No comments: