Tuesday, August 29, 2006

This is the end....

Well that’s it. It’s pretty much over. My time in Turkey has passed (just in time, apparently, or else I might have been victim or witness to bombings!) and now it feels like I am aimlessly waiting the day that I can go home. Which I suppose is what I am literally am doing. I tried to find a flight back to Calgary for early September but it seems they have all been booked. So now I am sitting in rainy, cold, drab Novi Becej (I always arrive on time for the rain here) but my mind is elsewhere. Gotta get stuff done for school, gotta organize my photos, gotta start making money, gotta get in shape, gotta get my life in order….you name it, I gotta do it. I am really excited to come home and start a new chapter of my life. I suppose this trip may seem like your cliché “just finished my degree so I”m taking off for a year” trip, but it really wasn’t. Which is what I realized as I was here. I think I have passed the stage where I want to do something just for fun, or to pass time by…I ain’t getting’ any younger after all. I feel this trip lacked purpose – although don’t get me wrong, it was great to travel and learn and see things -- it just felt kind of selfish. Next extended trip should be for a development project of some sort, or some sort of goal, which would allow me to contribute somehow, or make some sort of a difference. I guess I feel like this, because life has been good to me, and has given me so much that I want to give back to it. I still have many trips planned and still want to climb the Kilimanjaro, go scuba diving in the Red Sea, hike the Inca Trail, ride a camel in the Moroccan desert, drink tea in Japan, go to Island, and who knows, maybe even go to the States some day…..but for now I just want to drink tea with my mom after doing the dishes together; hear my dad howling to ACDC on Saturday mornings; fight with my sister over clothes and makeup; and fall asleep with a cat on my lap.

No comments: