Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Chetnik lisa


Chetnik lisa
Originally uploaded by borderlys.
Well it’s my second last day here and that sinking feeling of termination has slowly crept up on me. I’ve got that heavy feeling that you get when something is over, that you can’t do anything about. This place became my home away from home during my 9 months away, through living and working here, then by dropping in and relaxing for sometime before continuing on to my next destination. I’m at that stage where I have to say “well if I don’t see you again, take care” or “it was nice knowing you” and when I get the question “when will you return to Serbia?” replying with an apologetic shrug and a “I really don’t know”. For the most par of last week it had been rainy and I had been fighting some weird stomach virus and counting down the days to go home, and now the pinch in my heart makes me wish I had better appreciated my time here, and the famous words of Joni Mitchell come to mind “Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you got ‘til it’s gone”….

The sun has since come out, and the weather has been lovely here. Over the weekend went to the “GUCA” trumpet festival in Southern Serbia, where I partied with Serbs, complete with Chetnik army cap and all…..It’s a part of Serbian culture not to be missed! The sound of powerful, almost schizophrenic trumpet orchestras all over the streets, blaring high-energy music – you can’t help but get in to it! And all the beer helps get in the mood quite effectively…. Not to mention to mention the smell of grilling meat (I had the BEST “pljeskavica” – Serbian style hamburger – of my LIFE there), corn on the cob, “kupus” (delicious cooked cabbage) and local pastries!

I get I just have to make the best of my remaining time here before I head out to London to see Shcott and head home....

No comments: