Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bucarest, pt.II

Well the weather here is absolutely wonderful (in German, I would say herrlich, which really is the most appropriate term I can find) and I had a great day. Adrian (Bobo) from Hospitality Club (like Couchsurfing) that I met over the weekend met me in the morning. So we walked arround and he helped me find the Macedonian embassy and I am really excited! I got my visa for Macedonia! Wooo! So although Tim won't be joining me anymore due to unforseen cicumstances I think I am setting myself up for a pretty good trip. I have only been in Bucarest two days, but I really like the city and the grandiose feeling it gives off. The Casa Poporolui (the house of the people) was absolutely amazing. Apparently Ceaucescu bulldozed many churches and made a large number of people homeles in order to build it and it's 3.2 km "champs-elysee" style bulevard that leads to it. Might I remind you, it's called the house of the PEOPLE! (?!?) some favour he did the people by bulldozing their houses and rendering them homeless.

Being the well informed traveller that I am, I didn't realize that about 80% of the population was Orthodox. (duh.) I find Orthodox churches so esthetic! They are colourful on the outside and spacious on the inside and coverd with paintings and frescoes. Once I can download on flickr again (I have reached my monthly maximum :( ) I will put some pictures on it and my blog again. For now you'll have to bear with my (poorly written) text!

Well, I think it's dinner time and tonight I am going to Vera's place (met her at the couchsurfing party on the weekend) for a drink and some shisha.

No comments: