Sunday, September 07, 2008

Week two, here we go!

After my first week of work, I am feeling pretty good about my internship! So far, I've been given very precise instructions for the different projects I'll be working on, and my manager has been great in giving me instructions and helping me set goals for the day and week.  It's nice to work from her home office, since I don't have to worry about little formalities (like what to wear, being 5 minutes late, etc.), and sometimes I even get to work with a kitty on my lap! She also makes the best coffee in the whole entire world! So far, I've mostly been getting familiar with the organization, re-writing teaser bios (a few sentences that appear next to the people's photos on the site). It's actually a great way to get to know members of the organisation! It's quite interesting to learn the culture of this virtual organisation - things like the informal weekly updates (personal and work related) allow for a more personal, "water cooler" type of interactions. I've had a little introduction to the media impact monitoring and evaluating aspect of my internship, as well as a briefing on the media relations aspect. I still have so much reading to do before I feel comfortable with the site content because for now, I still feel like there is an overwhelming amount of information on the site. My plan to read up on policy this weekend didn't quite come to fruiting either....

I did have a great weekend though! I went out with "los internacionales," which is what I have dubbed the ex-pat and international crowd living here at the moment. We stayed out all night; I lost  my beloved toque on the way home; and felt the repercussions of dancing until 6am the next morning. To make things worse, the next day Katarina and I went to the market, which, as it turns out, closed early because it was raining out.  Walking in the rain for a few hours, lack of sleep, then going to bed late-ish a second night didn't exactly do wonders for my health. Where is that echinacea tea when I need it?!?

No comments: