Tuesday, September 30, 2008

to tango hopefuls


I went to my first tango lesson yesterday - which was both taxing (so HARD!) and fun (well, when you dance with a guy who knows what he is doing, that is). I've derived a few lessons I thought I'd share with you, before you even thought about attempting a tango class:


4) Don't show up an hour late

My new Brasilian friend, Jandi, told me to show up around 9, when in fact, the class started at 8. It wasn't a problem since the class was a bit chaotic and included all levels - but I did feel extremely lost for the first 20 minutes, not to mention rude. Also, since I had missed the warm up, I missed the intros and ice breakers which tend to be useful when you are dancing with strangers! Luckily, the crows was super friendly...

3) Don't go on a day when you've worked almost 11 hours
your brain just doesn't seem to work as well, and you may space out from time to time. This makes concentrating on the steps, engaging in conversation with others and keeping up rather difficult.

2) Make sure you bring a cell phone
I was worried about the guys approaching me and it being a bit of a meat market, but people really were there to dance! It was a wonderful relief and the atmosphere was great! Somehow though, I DID manage to get the number or 2 hot German chicks and a Brazilian girl... go figure!


1) Don't have garlic for supper that night!!

Quite possibly the most important lesson to remember, is to consider what you have for dinner before hand; bringing a pack of gum is also rather handy, as the use of garlic may also deter future dance partners, especially in a dance where you sometimes need to lean on each others' foreheads (see image).

There you have it, my friends - GUM, cell phone, and a fresh brain and you're set! (Sense of rhythm not included...)

No comments: