Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mastering Mate

your turn!

So I FINALLY got off my hiney and bought all the required elements to a proper mate kit:

1) Mate - the receptacle (gourd, typically of the squash family) itself is of utmost importance
2) Bombilla - metal straw - possibly even more important than the mate, since you could theoretically make yourself a mate in a coffee mug or small bowl; it just doesn't look as good.
3) Thermos - this is more important if you're on the go. Otherwise, how else will you drink mate while walking down the street!
4) Yerba mate, of course!

note: you can also buy a leather bag in which to carry your mate, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are on a budget!

Now that I am finally set up, I asked my roommate, Andrea to give me a lesson on preparing mate (tea is just so much simpler!).

1) Fill your gourd to about an inch of the top. Tip it to the side until the herbs hit your hand (make sure you keep the yerba in its vertical shape).
2) Pour some lukewarm water, and allow for the herbs to absorb some of the water and expand. This prevents the leaves from burning, and for better absorption.
3) Place your bombilla with the flat part against the herbs, and tilting it against your gourd. Dig in there, and make sure it stays in place.
4) Fill your mate with boiling water, sip, and enjoy the first mate (right. It's generally quite bitter and hot)
5) Offer to your friends...but beware, there is a certain etiquette to be followed...

See the photographic version of the instructions here!

4 comments:

Andrew S. said...

I think I'll have to try this...

Jabsters said...

This is Phillip btw. I got my self-portrait up ;X

Anyways, I thought the title said 'Masturbating Mate'. I'm shaking my head at you, as we speak.

<3

chris said...

WANT!

Jimh. said...

Hmmm, learn something everyday...thanks for the introduction to this Yerba stuff...I will watch for it.